Thursday, January 26, 2012

Some Sweet Book Lovin': The Thirteenth Tale


I just barely (like a few hours ago) finished the book, The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. Now let me tell you, this book was chosen by someone else for our book club, and when I went to the store to buy it, I grimaced slightly.

You see, I am an English major. However, English major I love to read anything and everything. Especially books that remind me of my college English classes (you know, the ones so full of symbolism, it's hard to understand the story?). And I did it. I judged a book by its cover.

Even as I started the what-I-knew-would-be-long-and-boring book, I had to push myself onto the next page.

But then something odd happened. I actually wanted to read. I wanted to know what was going on with Vida Winter's past life, who Adeline and Emmaline were, and what made me feel as though something was off about the whole thing.

So yes, while I had to push myself through the first 50 pages, I really had to pace myself for the last 300. I really enjoyed the way in which Setterfield details several different stories, all while uniting them!


Now that I've finished this book, I'm looking for another. Any ideas? What good books are you reading?


1 comment:

  1. "A Monster Calls" by Patrick Ness - I just started reading it. A friend recommended it, and so far I'm completely pulled in. Great writing, good characters; so far it seems very well-told. Oh, I also finished a small series written by Christian writer Francine Rivers. She writes mostly historical fiction. I've read a few of her books and they are all well done. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm always looking for good books to read. :)

    ReplyDelete