Thursday, March 8, 2012

Meatless March: Side Dish #1: Homemade Applesauce

Once upon a time I dated this guy. It was not a happily ever after story. HOWEVER! His mom made the most amazing applesauce I had ever had in my entire life {this is coming from someone who had never known of such a thing as "homemade" applesauce}. The moral of this story is that if you are dating someone and not married, make sure you get the recipe BEFORE you break up :)


Or just Google it.

So I did {four years after the fact! I can't believe my life has gone on for so long without this amazing stuff} and found this amazing recipe for homemade applesauce that I will now share with you {along with lovely pictures}. What about you? Do you have any simply stunning side dishes?


Homemade Apple Sauce

Ingredients
8-10 different apples {I used 3 golden delicious, 3 fuji, and 3 macintosh}
Lemon juice
1/2 C apple cider {though I'm sure apple juice works just as well}
1/2 C water
1/4 C sugar
1/2 t ground cloves
Cinnamon sticks


1. Core and peel the apples. Then cut into large chunks and put into a large pot {I tried putting these in a quart-ish sized pot and it was too small, so you'll definitely want something bigger}. Put some lemon juice {not much, just a squirt or two} on the apples {to keep them from browning}.

2. Add the remaining ingredients {apple cider, sugar, ground cloves, water, and cinnamon sticks}. Note: I didn't actually measure the ground cloves, I just sprinkled some in there.


3. Bring to a boil {this probably sounds weird because your liquid doesn't even come close to covering your apples, but it'll be fine, trust}. After it boils, turn down, cover partially, and let simmer for about 15 minutes or until your apples start to become a little mushy.

4. Mash it and enjoy! I liked the apple sauce warm, but it's great room temperature or even chilled!

Mmmmm...see? Now wasn't that easy?

No comments:

Post a Comment