Friday, April 13, 2012

The 26.2 Mile Project

Some of you may have heard this story, but for those of you who haven't, I will share it once more.

When I was in high school, my senior year, we had to run the mile. You know, the Presidential Fitness Challenge thing? And I was many things in high school, but a runner I was not.

But I still ran. I pushed myself. Hard. I pushed myself so hard that I literally got sick after from running. Oh, and my time? Yeah, close to 11 minutes. What?! I wasn't overweight, I didn't consider myself that slow of a runner, but I was out of shape.

I had never felt like I needed a goal to be healthy because I didn't really have to worry about my weight.

Anyway, a few years later, I started to get fit. I ran. I biked. I swam. And I felt great. But then I stopped.

Now fast forward a couple more years. After I got married, I decided that I, again, wanted to get back into shape. I started running again last September (2011), 8 months ago. Since then, I have run a couple 5Ks and 3 half marathons. My goal this year is to run full marathon. For those of you who don't know, that is 26.2 miles.


So here is my journey, taken one step {literally} at a time.

This past week has been difficult. I've run a little bit in the past few months, but I suffered an injury at my last half marathon in January and was put out of running for about a month and a half. I lost motivation to run. It was even harder when a good running partner of mine moved away.

Monday: 2-3 miles {I ran 3}
Tuesday: 3-4 miles {I ran 0...oops}
Wednesday: 2-3 miles {I ran 4...trying to make up}
Thursday: 3-4 miles {I ran 4}
Friday: 5-6 miles {I ran 6.4}

Today I ran 6.4 miles all by my lonesome in the hot, humid, 75 degree Texas weather.


This week's mileage: 17 miles {approx}

Next week's goal: 21 miles

5 comments:

  1. I don't know that I will ever run a marathon. Its awesome that you want to though :) I was never really a distance runner. Tell me to sprint 1 mile, I can do that. But running at a constant pace for a couple hours doesn't sound like a ton of fun to me. I am trying to get into running so that Ty & I can do it together when he gets home--his legs are substantially longer than mine, AND he's just got a runner's body. It makes it difficult to run the same pace bc my legs are so much shorter than his. I'm doing the color run and the Bolder Boulder at the end of May. It pales in comparison to 26.2 miles, but the fact that I don't even really like running and the fact that it is more than 1 mile, is a big deal for me :P

    Have you signed up for one, btw?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really wanted to be a distance runner. Seriously, even when I considered doing track & field in high school, I wanted to sprint, not do anything long distance.

      And Jordan and I don't run together. His walking pace is my running. It's embarrassing. Okay, maybe not quite that bad, but it's not that great either. Maybe we should start biking together...Hmm.

      Anyway, that's so awesome that you are doing the color run and I am super jealous!!! That looks like the most amazing 5K run ever. And my 1 marathon that may or may not happen pales in comparison to the 20 that a friend of mine has run. We all have our strengths and weaknesses :) It's good that you are doing races though. It's good to just stay in shape.

      And I have not signed up for one, but there is one that I am kind of preparing for. But it's in Utah, so we will see if it happens.

      Delete
  2. This past week has been difficult. I've run a little bit in the past few months, but I suffered an injury at my last half marathon in January and was put out of running for about a month and a half. I lost motivation to run. It was even harder when a good running partner of mine moved away. pink outfits for little girls , baby girl yellow dress , boys red trousers , baby girl green dress , little girl pink bridesmaid dresses , yellow dress for kids , toddler red leggings , green colour dress for baby girl

    ReplyDelete